Monday, July 18, 2011

Shirataki Noodles, Love them or Hate them?





The new super noodle is everywhere right now. You can hardly turn on a cooking show without seeing Shirataki noodles being used. After all what could be better than a low carb, low calorie, gluten free, healthy guilt free pasta.

Well after doing extensive tastings here's what I found. They seem to have a love hate relationship with my family. I love them the rest of my house hates them. These noodles are not at all like a traditional gluten filled Italian pasta. They are much more an Asian noodle. They work wonderfully in a stir fry, miso soups and all kinds of dishes on the Asian side. As for the Italian side I found them to be a little to mushy and chewy to work well. I will say they have a bit of a funky smell when you first open the package. After rinsing the noodles the smell goes away but I think that may have been what turned my family off.

I would recommend getting a package and trying them for yourself. check out the link below for more info on these noodles. They also have some recipes on their website you might want to try.

http://www.house-foods.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment