Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Do you ever ask yourself, why did I want to homeschool?

Have you ever had one of those days when you look at your kids and say, these wild animals can't possibly be mine, NO Definitely Not My Little Angels! Or maybe you think, they were switched at birth or they must be just like their father and certainly nothing like you. I think every mom has had those days and adding the pressure of homeschooling only increases those not so pleasant days. Let's face it we moms try to do it all and somehow have the expectation that peace, love and thankfulness will be poured down upon us. What's worse is when our kids don't bend at the knee and praise us with thankfulness we get hurt and take it personally. Why do we moms do this to our self's? Because we moms are liers. Lets face it when was the last time you sat around in a group of mom that were really honest. They never tell you they were in tears all day the day before. That they fed the kids cold cereal for dinner all last week. Or (yes I'm guilty of this one) they put the kids in the hot tub and call it bath time. Oh no, all you ever hear about is about how little Johnny was reading at 3, doing long division at 5 and creating world peace by 10. So you sit and listen to these stories and think, wow I must be a complete failure. You think what am I doing wrong, my kid is 8 and still struggles with reading or my kids cry when they hear the word math. What's worse is we moms completely buy into the competition instead of remembering why we wanted to home school in the first place.




A couple years ago I was on complete home school burn out and quite frankly my hubby had enough as well. One of the best things I found was Todd Wilson's website and his books. They are very short quick reads that gave me a light hearted way to stop being so hard on myself and start enjoying my kids again. Even my hubby read the books and wow what a difference he stepped up and started getting involved in the kids school as well. Since finding these short little books I have given several out to my friends and all I seam to hear back is thank you so much I needed these books, thank you, thank you! Check out Todd's books and website.


No comments:

Post a Comment