Wednesday, August 10, 2011

GF Vegetarian BBQ Wedding Meatballs

The gluten filled version of these meatballs were served at my wedding almost 15 years ago, yikes were does time go? Everyone fell in love with them and most couldn't believe they were vegetarian. I have been giving the recipe out ever since and can't begin to count how many weddings I've been to were I find these little goodies on the buffet table. As a result they have been renamed "The Wedding Meatballs" as that's how people ask for the recipe. To this day I can't visit our photographer without bringing him a batch. When I had to go gluten free these were one of my comforts foods I missed the most. I'm happy to say it was easy to make them gluten free and they our back on my the menu, Yeah, insert happy dance here :)

Wedding Meatballs
2 cups certified gluten free quick oats (I use the Bobs Redmill certified gluten free oats)
2 cups gluten free toasted breadcrumbs (use your favorite GF bread, toast and grind in chopper)
2 small onions, minced
4 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup pecan or walnut meal
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
2-4 oz cream cheese, room temp. (depending on the humidity and moisture of the air. Start with 2oz if the mixtures seems a little dry add the full 4 oz of cream cheese.)

BBQ Sauce
2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 to 2 tbsp. liquid smoke (depending on your preference for mild or strong smoke flavor)

Heat vegetable or canola oil in a large frying pan. Mix all the meatball ingredients together in a large bowl. Roll into small meatballs and fry. Drain the meatballs on paper towels then place in a large casserole dish. place all BBQ Sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat over med heat until warm and well combined. Pour sauce over meatballs and Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Note: Depending on the type of gluten free bread you are using it is OK to add extra milk, water, or even another egg to add moisture to the meatballs. Gluten free breads can have a tendency to be very dry and dense so feel free to play around with the recipe.





No comments:

Post a Comment